Information for Incoming Students

Masters of Educational Technology and Applied

Learning Sciences: Incoming Students

Welcome to the METALS program! We are excited that you have decided to become a member of our program – it’s a special collection of staff, faculty and students. If you have any questions that are not answered below, please email

Completing Your Enrollment

    • Submit official documentation to us no later than April 15ᵗʰ
      • Enrollment Contract
      • Required Prerequisites Form
      • Test Scores (if you have not already done this)
      • Have ETS send CMU your official GRE scores (if included in your application). Use GRE Institution code, 2074; Department code, 0402.
      • English proficiency
        • Have ETS send TOEFL scores (if required). Use TOEFL Institution code, 4256; Department code, 78.
        • Submit your DuoLingo English Test URL to Mary Kate Noonan
      • Have your transcripts sent to Carnegie Mellon by one of the following methods:
        • emailed directly by the university (not you) to Mary Kate Noonan
        • transcripts delivered by WES (
        • have your degree granting colleges and universities mail official transcripts directly to:

Mary Kate Noonan / HCII – METALS
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Action Items

  • Health History Form – All incoming students must complete Health History and Immunization information by June 30th.  Please see the requirements on the Student Health Services website.
  • Immunization Requirements for incoming students If you have questions, please call Student Health Services at 412-268-2157.
  • International Student Form If you are not a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident you will receive the I-20 Form, which will allow you to obtain the F-1 student visa. However, the I-20 CANNOT BE ISSUED until we receive a completed International Student Information Form from you.


Classes at Carnegie Mellon begin on August 26, 2024, with the exception of some Computer Science Department and Machine Learning courses. Some statistics classes start the week of August 28th, but most machine learning and CS classes do not begin until mid-September, due to the Immigration Course.

For the Fall full-time students should be registered  for the following courses:

05-823 E-Learning Design Principles
05-738 Evidence-Based Educational Design
05-660 Interaction Design for HCI

+ two other distributional or general elective courses

For more information on how to register for courses, please see:

To see the complete schedule of courses go to:
To register for courses go to:

You must be registered for at least 36 units for the university to consider you full time. Most courses are 12 units. Most mini-courses (half semester) are usually 6 units.  You can pair two together during a semester.

CMU Graduate Student Orientation

Register for Graduate Student Orientation.  This is for all incoming Graduate Students at Carnegie Mellon is in mid August 2022

In addition, international graduate students are **required** to attend a International Graduate Student Orientation session. Carnegie Mellon welcomes over 2000 new international students each fall.  To accommodate the large number of students, CMU offers a number of orientation sessions from which to choose. (note:  each session is the same).  Seating is limited and registration is required. Instructions for registering are on

Computer Accounts

Andrew account – This is automatically assigned when you are entered into the Student Information System. The university Andrew network is needed to view your student account, register for courses, sign up for health insurance, etc.

New students should expect to receive an email from with the subject line “Receive your Andrew userID”.  The email will contain a link for retrieving the Andrew userID and instructions for continuing the First Pass process to set your initial password.

For problems with your Andrew Account:

Health Insurance

All full-time students are required to carry health insurance and will be assessed a charge for the individual basic mandatory plan offered through the university student health insurance program. The charge will appear on the invoice of the first semester of attendance in the academic cycle. The student is required to take one of the following three actions: 1) Enroll in the basic plan as charged. 2) Upgrade the benefit plan by enrolling in the enhanced student health insurance options during the open enrollment period. 3) Apply for a waiver from the mandatory plan. Student Health Insurance plans

You are responsible to pay the premiums for insurance by submitting a check to the HUB.

Finding jobs on or around campus


Community Housing
For more detailed information on housing and related issues, you may want to visit the CMU Housing Office (412-268-2139) website, which can be very helpful in locating suitable apartments or houses for new students. They can provide computerized listings of spaces available to match your specific needs.

If you will be looking for an apartment before you arrive, the best times are either early May or mid-July. Most leases are for one year, ending in May or August. You can sign a lease any time if the space is available – but people don’t always let the landlords know whether they’ll be renewing until 30 – 45 days before the end of the lease. There is usually a little overlap in August — old leases not over until the end of August, but you need a place by mid-August — but it’s often possible to “bunk in” with older students for a few days until your place becomes available. Usually if you get in touch with the person who was your student contact s/he can be helpful in the transition.

Important Dates

June 30                Health History Information Due to Student Health Services

July 31                  Submit your photo for your Student ID Card

August 15-19       University – Graduate Student Orientation

August 29            Classes begin

September 5        Labor Day (U.S. holiday – no classes)

International Students

If you are not a U.S. Citizen you will receive the I-20 Form, which will allow you to obtain the F-1 student visa. However, the I-20 CANNOT BE ISSUED until we receive a completed International Student Information Form from you. Please note that you are not required to provide any proof of financial support unless you have legal dependents (spouse and/or children). In that case you may be required to show that you have additional funds available to support the dependents.

Note that all students applying for the F-1 visa are required to pay a SEVIS fee in addition to any other required filing fees. You will also have to pay to have the documents shipped to you.

If you are already in the U.S.; you will request a transfer through your Foreign Student Advisor rather than receiving a new I-20 form. For additional information regarding visas you may want to visit the Office of International Education website.

International students will also receive information with your I-20 Form regarding the International Student Orientation program sponsored by the Office of International Education. This program is mandatory. If you have a situation that does not allow you to attend, you will be required to attend an orientation session before the end of the first week of the semester in order for your enrollment to be complete, and to maintain your valid visa status. An important part of the orientation are instructions of how to obtain a social security number which you will need in order to receive your monthly stipend.

Visa Denials:
During the past year some international students’ initial visa requests were denied. However, when re-submitted, most were eventually approved and were able to arrive on time if the visa request was submitted early enough. It seems especially difficult for students from China. The following web link from the Department of state give a good overview of the visa application process for international students.

Student ID Card

Your ID Card is your official Carnegie Mellon photo identification. It is your access to campus buildings, athletic facilities and the Port Authority Transit system. You must have an ID Card as a graduate student.

To obtain your card:

  • Submit your photograph via the ID Photo Submission Application before July 31.
  • You will receive your ID Card upon arrival. If you do not receive your ID Card from your department, visit The HUB, lower level of Warner Hall, during business hours to receive it.
  • If you did not submit your photo online, visit The HUB with your own photo or to have your photo taken.


Your student account information can be found at:


For federal financial aid, U.S. citizens will be eligible for up to $20,500 in unsubsidized loan and up to cost of attendance in the Graduate Plus/Alternative loan.

Carnegie Mellon will start processing graduate students awards in mid- to late July. Please make sure to complete the steps listed on the financial aid website in order to qualify.  See